Treasurer Home
Property Tax
Motor Vehicles
Other Information
Vehicle Registration Tips

What do I need to bring with me to get my car or pickup registered?
It depends on whether you are renewing or buying a first time registration, or bringing your vehicle into Wyoming from another state.

For renewal registrations:

  • Registration renewal card, or previous registration if registered in Laramie County.
    If you have neither, write down your license plate number and give the information to the motor vehicle clerk.
  • Proof of liability insurance.
  • A copy of your current IRS form 2290 if your vehicle is a commercial vehicle is 55,000 pounds or more.
  • Non-Resident Service Members Click here to renew.

For newly acquired vehicle:

  • A copy of your Wyoming title, or the title number of your Wyoming title.
  • A copy of the dealer invoice, if the car is a new purchase from a dealer.
  • A copy of your previous registration if the car was registered previously in another state.
  • Proof of liability insurance.
  • A copy of your current IRS form 2290 if your vehicle is a commercial vehicle 55,000 pounds or more.
  • If the vehicle is leased you will also need a Wyoming sales tax statement or a copy of the lease specifying:
    • Year
    • Make
    • Vehicle Identification Number
    • Sales tax license number
    • Percentage of sales tax being collected
    • Non-resident Military does not qualify

For vehicle coming in from another state:

  • A current registration from the state where it is currently registered.
  • Proof of Insurance
  • Photo I.D.

What do I need to bring with me to get my new trailer registered?
Wyoming title. All trailers are exempt the proof of insurance requirement for registration.

What do I need to bring with me to get my boat registered?
The Wyoming Game and Fish Department registers boats. For information regarding boat registration contact:

Wyoming Game and Fish Department
5400 Bishop Blvd
Cheyenne, WY 82002
(307) 777-4638

The County Treasurer's Office does register the boat trailer and collects the sales tax on the boat if unpaid at the time of purchase.

I bought a new car, and want to get credit for the plates I bought for my old car because I don't drive it anymore. I still own the old car because I haven't been able to sell it yet. Can I get credit?
No, we cannot give credit for transfer from a car that you still own, even if you no longer drive that car. Most of the tax you are paying on your car is not a use tax. It is an ownership tax similar to the tax on your house. It does not make a difference whether you drive the car or not.

How often do I renew my plates?
Plates and registration are renewed annually. Your plates expire the last day of your expiration month. If you do not know your expiration month you can find it on your registration slip or the sticker on your license plate. There is no grace period on plate expiration.

Where do I place the registration sticker on my license plate?
Placement of the validation stickers on your license plate is important. The upper left corner is the correct placement for all vehicles.

Is there a time limit to pay my sales tax?
Yes. Sales tax is due in 65 days. If taxes are not paid by the 66th day, the penalty is $25.00 plus 1% interest per month. At day 75, the penalty is $25.00 or ten percent (10%) of the amount of tax due, whichever is greater, plus 1% interest per month.